Cool, refreshing, hydrating, herby and delicious—five words to describe this creamy, fat and sugar-free cucumber salad. This is one of my favorite recipes to make during cucumber season. What a great way to enjoy all those freshly picked, crisp cucumbers!
We are having a bit of a heatwave here in the Pacific Northwest. Most of us don’t have A/C…we don’t need it. Unfortunately, though, that means when we have a week like this, we need other ways to cool down. Cooking is just out of the question on a day like this. Having an occasional “hot” day during the summer is easy to deal with when I remember why I love it here so much and just why one week of being a little uncomfortable is not a high price to pay for this relaxed, seaside lifestyle we live. We do absolutely love-it-here-dot.com. If there were just one place on earth we were meant to live, almost like an earthly soulmate for each of us, this place would be it for us. We are in love!
Speaking of being in love, I love this cucumber salad, especially on a day like this. Jim can eat an entire Tupperware container of this salad in one go!
I’m lovin’ the fact this salad has no added sugar, sat fat, or questionable carbs. Add a piece of grilled fish to the plate, and you’ve got the ultimate ‘show your body how much you love it…this meal is so good for me, I can hardly stand it’ go-to meal. 🙂
One thing I noticed the first time I made this was that the yogurt sauce seemed much sweeter to me before adding the cucumbers and onions. I found myself wishing I had added more sweetener, so the second time I made it I did exactly that – I went a little over the top on the sweetener and the balance was perfect once the cucumbers and onions were mixed in.
I prefer this recipe with 2% Fage Greek Yogurt, but 0% works well too. The nutrition information below is based on 1/2 cup 2% Fage Greek yogurt. (this is not a sponsored post, by the way.)
If you make this recipe, I want to see! Tag your pic with #basilandoregano on Instagram. Also, don’t forget to leave a comment and rating below. Thanks!
- 1 English Cucumber, sliced ⅛” thickness
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, 2% or 0%
- 1½ tablespoons red wine or golden balsamic vinegar
- 1 - 2 teaspoons Splenda, stevia or other sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- Salt and pepper
- Place cucumber slices on a paper-towel lined plate in one layer. Sprinkle very lightly with salt, top with another paper-towel and repeat process until all cucumber slices are covered. Press gently on the top of the stack and then set the plate aside.
- Meanwhile, add the yogurt, vinegar, 1 teaspoon sweetener, dill, garlic powder, and chives to a lidded bowl and stir to combine. Add additional sweetener as desired (see note above).
- Add cucumber and onion to the dressing, add salt and pepper to taste, secure lid and shake gently until evenly coated. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 3 hours.