We were craving a juicy medium-rare steak last night. Typically, we get chuck eye steaks when we can, primarily because they are tender, flavorful and one of the few affordable cuts on the market right now. If you can find chuck eye steaks in your area, I highly recommend you give this cut a try. They can have a fair amount of fat, but the fat adds wonderful flavor to the meat, and we simply trim it off after cooking.
Unfortunately, when I went to our local store, they only had one little chuck eye steak. 🙁
We don’t have many options for stores here, so it was either break the bank for rib eye or buy the one, small, lonely steak and use it creatively to feed two people. I chose the latter. What can I say…I’m cheap. I just can’t bring myself to pay $16+ per pound. Our budget just doesn’t stretch quite that far.
I cooked the steak on the grill with a little Montreal steak seasoning. Sometimes I marinate our steaks in a little olive oil, balsamic and some salt and pepper – that’s our fav, actually.
This recipe comes together quickly once the steak is done. I like to let the steak rest while I prepare the other ingredients.
If you don’t have a skillet large enough for the tortilla to lie flat, you can make several folded quesadillas instead. I like a crunchy tortilla round where I can cut it into wedges like a pizza. There’s something satisfying about a wedge of food for dinner, or am I just crazy? Wait, don’t answer that…I don’t want to know. As my dear Sis always says, “Let me have it.”
My supermarket often has fresh pico de gallo they’ve made in store. It saves me a step when they do, and it’s just as good as the pico I make at home. I’m not talking about the jarred or mass-produced salsas and pico you find on the shelf or in the refrigerated section, I’m talking about super fresh, just made pico de gallo. If your supermarket doesn’t make their own pico de gallo, here’s a simple recipe to make it at home. It’s only a few ingredients and a bit of chopping.
If you make this dish, I want to see! Tag your pic with #basilandoregano on Instagram. Also, don’t forget to leave a comment and rating below. Thanks!
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- ½ lb steak, cooked to your liking, thinly sliced
- Pico de gallo (recipe here)
- Sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- In a large cast iron or non-stick pan, place one tortilla flat on the bottom.
- Spread ¼ cup of cheese over the tortilla round. Layer steak, avocado, and cilantro evenly onto the round, sort of like you might assemble a pizza. Season with salt and pepper and lay a tortilla flat over the top.
- Cook on medium heat until bottom is browning and crisp. Carefully flip round over in the pan and cook until the second side is crisp and brown.
- Remove from heat and cut round into wedges using a pizza cutting wheel or sharp knife. Top with sour cream and pico de gallo. Enjoy!